|Thomas Crowson was born in 1840 in Tetford, Lincolnshire.
By 1867, he was a "husbandman" at Stixwould; by 1881, a farm foreman at
Revesby; and later the Earl of Ancaster (Lord Stanhope)'s baliff.
In 1865, Thomas, by then a widower, married Jemima Butler of Horncastle. He died of
cardiac failure and senile decay in Lincoln in 1921.
Their daughter, Eliza Emma, was educated alongside the Stanhope children at
Revesby Abbey, and the Stanhopes later paid for her to become a dressmaker (courturier) in
Horncastle. She died in Lincoln in 1959.
The first Revesby Abbey was a
Cistercian Abbey, built in 1142, to the south of the village. It is
believed that the Abbot had a house approximately mid-way between the main
A155 road and the present building; it was on this site that the Howard
family built a mansion which they named Revesby Abbey. This building, along
with the estate, was purchased by the Banks family in 1714, and inherited
in 1761 by the naturalist Sir Joseph Banks, who sailed with Captain Cook in the
18th Century. However, as he died childless, the estate passed to
the Stanhope family.